social commentary from that blonde in the corner

Saturday, January 2, 2010

BBC Rocks My World

Ever since my first encounter with Shamu in 4th Grade, I wanted to be a marine biologist. No matter how many stuffed dolphins, whales, or harp seals that I had piled on my bed, fate had other ideas for my future career path. It finally hit home that I would not make it on board the Calypso for the next Cousteau expedition once I got to high school. Several guidance counselors kindly informed me that my lackluster science and math grades would not get me past giving tours at Seaworld, or watching Flipper reruns. I was devastated, but moved right along to selecting Art History as my major. I would have to keep poking jellyfish and horseshoe crabs at the jersey shore with sticks, just like I did on every other summer vacation.

Regardless, my never ending love of creatures, cuddly or not, has always stayed with me. So, dear reader, it is my extreme pleasure to share this new BBC creation with you.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wildlifefinder/


They also have this Earth Explorers website, "wildlife stories from programme makers on location." Sign me up. I may have found my new career path. For example, you can follow the work of marine biologist Elizabeth White, as she documents the life of "polar people." Brrrilliant.

I admire the BBC & the rest of the Brits for their never ending insight to wildlife. I have a special Big Garden Bird Watch supplement written by Stephen Moss from the Guardian newspaper plastered to my fridge, which is entitled, "Is that a sparrow or a rose- winged parakeet?" Nerd Alert. I am already planning to become a member of the Audubon Society once I turn 50. But not right now.

What with all the birdwatching, and polar explorations on the Discovery Networks that keep my interest on a regular basis, ( and I do love SharkWeek) , I must admit that Cousteau still has my heart.

No comments:

Followers