social commentary from that blonde in the corner

Friday, January 1, 2010

Peace, Love & Harmony?

Yes, it's that time again: Happy New Year, dear reader. Y2K was ten years ago? Really? I must admit, I was convinced the world would end at the strike of midnight on December 31, 1999. It did not, thank God. But things did get a bit harried later on, in one way or another.

I'll spare you the countless "remember when?" moments of the past ten years. Let's just say that this was the decade in which I became an official New Yorker, and am all the wiser for it. I ended the past ten years with a string of adventures that made me want to keep my wanderlust going strong. That, dear reader, is my New Year's resolution: screw the gym, I'd rather be traveling. But wait, there's more: blog instead of Facebook. Help those in need. And... okay , I do have to go to the gym.

I did have a strong desire to make my own "best of " list , what with all the reminiscing going on in the media. Least favorite world event? 9/11. Favorite phrase of the decade? Truthiness. I could go on. Then a music guru friend from college suggested "10 Best Albums of the Decade. " Too time consuming, but very intriguing , and to be continued. In the meantime, I have created my Top 20 Singles of 2009. In no particular order, here they are:


"what would i want? sky" - animal collective TIE " my girls" animal collective
"s'vive"-bibio
"dominos"-the big pink
"a change of heart"-el perro del mar
"daniel"-bat for lashes
"the reeling"-passion pit
"horchata"-vampire weekend (is this an early release? possible cheating)
"1901"-phoenix
"let's go surfing"-the drums
"new theory"-washed out
"crystalised"-the xx
"goth star"-pictureplane
"ready"-grizzly bear / "southern point" -grizzly bear
"my maudlin career"-camera obscura
"magpie to the morning"-neko case
"zero" -yeah yeah yeahs
"vivid youth"-the pastels/tenniscoats
"something is squeezing my skull"-morrissey
"triangle walks"-fever ray
"norway"-beach house (more possible early release cheating)

So, no more lists, and no more fact checking of dates. I'll just end with a video highlight of my year.

Shaking hands with Morrissey : Carnegie Hall, March 26, 2009(a.k.a my birthday ). With a very special thanks to Liz.

Happy 2010.

No comments:

Followers